Table of Contents:
A General Business Management (GBM) diploma opens doors to various career opportunities, and the key to getting a job after graduation is being proactive during your college days, whether you choose to study straight out of high school or later in life.
This is your guide to understanding how to be proactive during your studies and practicum placement, as well as afterwards by utilizing the support of our Career Services team, so that you can put your diploma to good use and land your dream job.
Before we start, let us inspire you with one of our Business Management Diploma graduates’ success stories.
Karsten H. had 7 years of experience working in trades with a desire to secure a more stable and rewarding career. This dream led him to go back to college. At first, Karsten wasn't sure if he could finish the GBM program because he was a single dad who hadn't been in school for a while. But, with hard work and help from his instructors, Karsten did it! He got a job offer just three weeks into his practicum and moved up from an assistant manager to a director role!
Now, let’s focus on study and practicum advice to help you get a dream job in the business management field after completing your diploma.
Common Tips for Securing a Job After Your General Business Management Diploma
Transitioning from the college classroom to the professional arena requires strategic planning and targeted efforts from the moment you begin your studies. Here are some key tips to guide you through this diploma-to-employment transition:
Define Your Career Path in Business Management Early On
Identify your preferred area within business management early in your studies. Whether it's human resources, administration, finance, or entrepreneurship, understanding your passion will enable you to tailor your studies and experiences accordingly.
Thoroughly Research Job Requirements
Stay ahead by understanding the specific requirements of your desired job role. Research the industry expectations, necessary qualifications, and skill sets on platforms like the Government of Canada Job Bank, Indeed, or Glassdoor. This knowledge will not only guide your studies but also ensure you align your business management skills with the demands of the job market.
Enhance Transferrable Skills During Your Studies
While textbooks provide a foundation, real-world success demands more. Focus on honing transferrable skills such as critical thinking, communication, teamwork, and adaptability throughout your studies. These skills are highly valued by employers and will improve your employability.
Discover Your Business Management Practicum Placement While Studying
The right practicum placement will not only equip you with hands-on experience but also boost your job readiness, making your resume stand out. Most Sundance College programs include a practicum placement.
According to an assistant education manager Tim Harrison, “Sundance College has established relationships with practicum partners in a variety of industries. In addition, our Career Services team invites students to provide a list of employers they would like to work with, and we will communicate with those employers on behalf of students to see if a practicum opportunity can be arranged”.
Practicum availability for a student may be influenced by their location, the presence of local companies, and the student’s schedule. The sooner you find a practicum placement aligned with your interests and goals, the better prepared you'll be for a successful employment experience.
Build Connections to Let Others Know You’re Job Hunting
The journey to securing your dream job begins with networking. Start connecting with professionals during your learning journey and practicum placement. Attending industry events. Establish your online professional presence on platforms like LinkedIn as soon as possible.
Tim, assistant education manager, highlights the importance of a LinkedIn profile for successful employment:
“Remember this for your career search, 50% of hiring managers will look you up on LinkedIn before inviting you for an interview. Over 85% of hiring managers will look you up on LinkedIn prior to sending you an employment offer. Having a LinkedIn profile is a 'must' for a successful career search. As our student, you can always email Career Services for assistance in creating an excellent LinkedIn profile.”
Building a robust professional network early on ensures that your job search doesn't go unnoticed, increasing your chances of landing the right opportunity
These are the key GBM diploma success tips for landing a job while studying in a college. Now, let's explore specific details on what to focus on while studying the General Business Management Diploma program at Sundance College for roles in human resources, marketing, finance and accounting, business administration, and entrepreneurship.
If You Choose to Work in Human Resources After a Business Management Diploma
Dreaming of a career in Human Resources (HR)? To do well in human resources careers, you'll need skills like understanding people, solving problems, the ability to adapt to changes, trustworthiness, and organizing tasks effectively.
How can the General Business Management program at Sundance College help you gain these skills? What assets can you highlight on your resume after securing our GBM diploma to land a successful HR job? Let's explore.
What to Focus on During Your General Business Management Studies for a Career in Human Resources
Here are some of the skills that Sundance College's General Business Management Program will equip you with:
- Human Resources Management: You will learn HR theories and practical applications during the Human Resources course in your program.
- Situational Communication: You will gain insights into effective workplace communication, handling personal differences, and navigating workplace politics during the Organizational Behaviour part of the program.
- Cultural Sensitivity: You will hone your awareness and sensitivity to the diverse cultures of your college community, a crucial aspect of modern HR practices.
- Practicum Experience: During the hands-on training in the GBM program's practicum, you will learn how to use HR concepts in real-life situations.
What to Highlight on Your Resume for a Human Resources Role
Resume Tip: Our assistant education manager (AED) Tim suggests that “your resume should highlight the courses you took in your General Business Management diploma program. Be sure to short-list courses on HR-related education.”
It’s also a good idea to include a section on non-standard resolution (e.g. helping classmates to get back on track with their home assignments or resolving disagreements during group discussions). Emphasize here how you've acquired supervisory skills during your GBM studies. This will help you highlight your ability to navigate challenges and effectively lead teams, making you an attractive candidate for diverse HR roles in the job market.
If You Want to Work in Marketing and Sales After a Diploma in Business Management
Aspiring to a career in marketing and sales? Excelling in this field demands skills like creativity, communication, analytical thinking, adaptability, and strategic planning.
The upcoming sections will reveal how the General Business Management program at Sundance College can help you cultivate essential marketing skills. Learn what aspects of the program will enhance your resume and make you a compelling candidate for marketing and sales opportunities.
What to Focus on During Your General Business Management Studies for a Career in Marketing and Sales
When looking to pursue a career in marketing and sales, you can add the following skills that have been acquired during the General Business Management Diploma program:
- Content Marketing Strategy: Detail your proficiency in creating successful content marketing strategies, a key skill acquired during the Marketing course.
- Sales Techniques: Showcase your understanding of sales, account management, and client retention, emphasizing the practical techniques you learned in the Account & Sales Management part of the program.
- Business Management Networking: Highlight your networking skills gained through Business Essentials coursework, they are vital for building professional relationships.
- Digital Marketing Portfolio: Create a portfolio featuring content and performance metrics from hands-on practices and practicum placements, demonstrating your practical skills.
If you have a strong passion for marketing, Sundance College offers a comprehensive Digital Marketing and Social Media Management Diploma program, providing an even deeper dive into the digital marketing field.
What to Highlight on Your Resume for a Marketing and Sales Role
Resume Tip: Employers love seeing numbers and data-driven accomplishments on resumes. To create a compelling resume, AED Tim suggests you think about “how can you 'quantify' your previous work experience? For example, the average Tim Horton's drive-thru staff person is expected to fulfill over 100 drive-thru orders per hour, every day. Error free. On average, what would be your daily sales at a retail employment situation, for example? How many customers served per day?”
Include specific metrics and outcomes from your previous sales and/or marketing projects, illustrating your positive impact on business objectives and giving you a leg up above the competition.
If Your Dream Career is in Financial Management and Accounting After a Business Diploma
In the current job market, employers seek financial management and accounting assistants who not only possess strong technical skills but also demonstrate attention to detail, analytical thinking, and ethical integrity. The ideal candidate is someone who can efficiently contribute to financial decision-making and ensure the accuracy of financial records.
How can the Sundance College GBM program equip you with the necessary skills for a successful career in financial management and accounting? What to include on your resume to get a job in this field?
What to Focus on During Your General Business Management Studies for a Career in Financial Planning and Accounting
When creating a resume for a financial management assistant role, you can highlight specific skills and experiences that you gained through the GBM courses, including but not limited to:
- Financial Planning Theories: Showcase your practical application of personal financial planning theories learned during the Financial Planning course.
- Analytical Skills: Emphasize your analytical abilities gained through the Project Management and Financial Planning parts of your program, this is crucial for understanding and interpreting business analytics and for decision-making.
- Microsoft Excel Proficiency: Highlight your proficiency in Microsoft Excel, acquired through dedicated coursework.
- Resume Focus: Tailor your resume to emphasize your financial record-keeping skills, developed through the GBM program.
For those with a keen interest in accounting, Sundance College offers a specialized Accounting, Tax, and Payroll Diploma program to deepen your knowledge in these areas, enhancing your readiness for a successful career in finance.
What to Highlight on Your Resume for a Financial Management Assistant Role
Resume Tip: Include examples of successful financial planning projects from your hands-on experience and practicum placement, highlighting your contribution to financial decision-making. By showcasing these assets, you position yourself as a well-prepared candidate, ready to excel in financial management careers.
If You Are Considering a Career in Business Administration After a General Business Management Diploma
To become a good business administrator, you need to demonstrate strong organizational and leadership skills, effective communication, and problem-solving abilities. For today’s employers, the ideal candidate is someone who can efficiently manage administrative functions, facilitate collaboration, and contribute to the overall efficiency of the business.
Let’s explore how a diploma in Business Management from Sundance College will help you create a strong resume to get your first job as a business administrator.
What to Focus on During Your General Business Management Studies for a Career in Business Administration
When pursuing a Business Administrator role, highlight the comprehensive skill set you developed at Sundance College including:
- Organizational Efficiency: Showcase your ability to streamline operations and enhance efficiency, a skill you have refined through the Business Essentials part of the program.
- Executive Support: Emphasize your experience providing high-level support, drawing from coursework on Effective Business Presentations and Project Management.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate your adaptability, a crucial aspect covered in courses like Organizational Behaviour and Supervision in your diploma program.
- Technology Proficiency: Highlight your proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, gained through dedicated coursework.
Focusing on these aspects during your studies will prepare you for success in business administration jobs, giving you the practical skills and experiences needed to thrive in this field.
What to Highlight on Your Resume for a Business Administrator Role
Resume Tip: Throughout the program, actively seek opportunities to express your leadership and project management skills. Engage in group projects, take on responsibilities in class discussions, and showcase instances where you led or contributed to the successful completion of tasks. These experiences can be highlighted and will add valuable substance to your resume, making you stand out as a strong candidate for a Business Administrator role.
If You Dream of Running Your Own Business After a Diploma in Business Management
Always dreaming of running your own business? While taking your Business Management courses at a career college, you need to pay attention to honing your business acumen and entrepreneurial skills.
What Aspiring Entrepreneurs Should Focus on While Studying a General Business Management Diploma
Studying the Sundance College General Business Management Diploma provides a solid foundation for aspiring entrepreneurs. Here's what it can bring to your table:
- Business Fundamentals: Master the essentials of business operations, marketing, finance, and management – critical subjects for the success of your entrepreneurial ventures.
- Networking Opportunities: Leverage college resources for networking, mentorship, and industry connections to support future business endeavors.
- Practicum Experience: Gain hands-on experience through practical business education to understand real-world business dynamics.
- Innovative Thinking: Cultivate an entrepreneurial mindset of innovation, creative problem-solving, and the ability to think out of the box.
Focusing on these aspects during your studies prepares you to run your own business with a strong foundation and valuable practical experience.
What Experience You Need for Becoming an Entrepreneur
Becoming a successful entrepreneur requires a combination of knowledge and practical experience. Here's what you can focus on while at Sundance College:
- Identify Your Niche: Understand your target market and identify a niche that aligns with your passion and expertise.
- Build a Network: Establish connections within your niche and seek mentorship to learn from experienced entrepreneurs – start with Sundance College’s GBM instructors.
- Develop a Business Plan: Create a comprehensive business plan outlining your goals, target audience, marketing strategy, and financial projections.
- Financial Literacy: Gain an understanding of basic financial principles, including budgeting, cash flow management, and financial forecasting from your GBM program.
By focusing on these experiences, you'll be better equipped to navigate the challenges of entrepreneurship pathways and increase your chances of building a successful business.
Your Full-Cycle Career Journey with Sundance College GBM Program
Sundance College's General Business Management education is comprehensive. When considering a return to education and studying General Business Management, it's natural to wonder about how you will manage a program alongside your work and family responsibilities.
Like you, Karsten, one of our GBM Diploma holders, once questioned his ability to complete the program. However, through dedicated effort and the valuable support of our instructors, he not only overcame those initial doubts but also achieved remarkable success, securing a job offer just three weeks into his practicum:
“When I was taking the Sundance program at first, I was expecting to not be able to do it, coming from a trades background and being so long out of high school. I didn't think I would succeed. But just the amount of effort and the amount of help the instructors gave me set my mind at ease and made sure that I was prepared for every test and every project that we did. When I graduated, it was a great feeling.”
At Sundance College, we're here to make your journey manageable and rewarding. Our full-cycle career services include:
- Resume Writing Tips: Learn the Do’s and Don’ts of resume writing to ensure you present your skills and qualifications in the best way possible.
- Job Search Support: Our staff will help you refine your job search so that you can identify and target the roles that fit your requirements.
- Interview Preparation: Prepare and practice your interview techniques so that you stay cool, calm, and ready to show your best side during your job interview.
Your success is our priority from the very start. Connect with us today to turn your dream job in business management into tomorrow’s reality.