Table of Contents:
If you're thinking about taking a General Business Management Program or approaching the finish line of your studies, you may be wondering, "What can I do with this diploma?".
The answer is, there are many professions within the business management domain you can explore. From human resources to marketing, finance planning to entrepreneurship, we will share details about what 5 of these potential jobs involve.
Aspiring and current students, take note! We will also outline the benefits a General Business Management Diploma provides you with to help you become a strong candidate in your chosen area of business management and secure your dream job.
What a General Business Management Diploma Actually Gives You
If you're curious about how the General Business Management (GBM) Diploma can impact your career advancement, let's begin by exploring the journey of one of our graduates, Roslyn N.
As a single mom with two busy children, Roslyn found the flexibility of Sundance's online courses instrumental in balancing her roles. She notes that Sundance College's supportive community and readily available instructors made her educational journey manageable, exceeding her expectations.
Roslyn’s General Business Management Diploma, including the hands-on experience she received during her practicum, set her up for a promotion from a clerical position to the administrator of a government work unit.
Learn about her story in this video:
Now, let's outline the key components that make the GBM Diploma an asset for your career, whether you’re just starting out or looking for a way to advance it:
Core Business Knowledge and Subject Coverage
The GBM diploma program enables you to acquire comprehensive knowledge in:
- Organizational Behaviour
- Project Management
- Human Resources
- Financial Planning
- Account Management
- Business Essentials
- Business Communications
These skills empower you to navigate dynamic workplaces, lead teams effectively, drive successful projects, and excel in various business roles, ensuring you stand out in the competitive job market.
Business Skills Development: Leadership, Communication, and More
By studying the General Business Management (GBM) Diploma, you'll develop the set of essential business skills that employers are looking for.
Here's a brief overview of the key transferrable business management skills you'll acquire:
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Proficiency
- Time-Management Skills
- Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Sales and Marketing Skills
- Accounting and Financial Planning Skills
- Adaptability and Problem-Solving
- Practical Computer Proficiency
These transferrable skills position you as a well-rounded professional, enhancing your employability and success in diverse business environments.
GBM Hands-On Learning and Practicum Placements
Interested in hands-on learning? The General Business Management Diploma program at Sundance College includes hands-on learning practices during the 43-week program along with a 5-week practicum placement. This allows you to:
- Apply your knowledge in a real-world setting and gain practical insights
- Establish connections with industry-experienced professionals
- Graduate with industry-specific experience already on your resume
The GMB program can prepare you for versatile career paths in a range of industries.
Continue reading to find out about five of the career pathways you can pursue with a GBM Diploma under your belt:
1. Career in Human Resources with a General Business Management Diploma
If you love working with people, have good communication skills, and love to work with data and digital technologies, you have the foundation to build a successful career in Human Resources (HR).
Human Resources Careers Overview
Let's explore some key roles within HR and gain insights into the responsibilities associated with each position:
- Human Resources Administrator: In this role, you'll handle various HR functions, including recruitment, training, documentation, record-keeping, and support day-to-day HR operations.
- Payroll Administrator: As a payroll administrator, you’ll focus on the financial side of HR, ensuring accurate and timely payroll processing. This role involves managing employee compensation, benefits, and related financial transactions.
- People & Culture Coordinator: In this position, you will shape and maintain a positive and inclusive workplace culture, fostering employee engagement and well-being. In this role, you may be involved with onboarding and offboarding employees, coordinating training programs, and assisting in the performance management process.
Acquiring these skills through our General Business Management Diploma opens doors to diverse and impactful HR career paths, where you can make a meaningful difference in organizational success.
Key Human Resources Job Requirements
To excel in Human Resources, you need to have certain qualifications and skills:
- Post-secondary education background in Business or Human Resources
- Legal understanding of provincial Employment Standards, the Human Rights Act, and Occupational Health and Safety legislation
- Technical proficiency in using MS Office tools (Excel, Outlook, Word) and HRIS systems
- Strong communication skills, both in listening and expressing ideas
- Business acumen, analytical thinking, and a data-driven approach
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity to foster an inclusive workplace
2. Career in Marketing and Sales with a General Business Management Diploma
If you have a flair for persuasion, creativity, and building connections, a career in marketing and sales might be the perfect fit for you.
Marketing and Sales Careers Overview
Let's explore the Marketing and Sales careers you can pursue with a General Business Management Diploma:
- Marketing Associate/Coordinator: Collaborate on marketing campaigns, create various types of content, and coordinate promotional activities
- Sales Representative: Secure sales, maintain accounts, and manage clients
- Brand Manager: Shape and maintain a brand's image, oversee marketing initiatives, and conduct market research for trends
With these skills, you can excel in diverse roles, contributing to business success and making a meaningful impact in the marketing and sales field.
Key Job Requirements in Marketing and Sales
To succeed in Marketing and Sales, you need to have certain skills and qualifications including:
- Creativity: Develop innovative marketing campaigns and sales strategies.
- Business Communication Skills: Effectively convey ideas, negotiate, and build rapport with customers as well as internal team members.
- Analytical Thinking: Evaluate market trends, consumer behavior, and campaign effectiveness.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), design tools, and customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
Acquiring these skills through our General Business Management Diploma enhances your readiness for success in dynamic Marketing and Sales roles, positioning you as an asset to employers.
3. Career in Financial Management with a General Business Management Diploma
For those of you who have a keen eye for numbers, strategic planning, and a knack for managing resources, a career in Accounting and Financial Management is an excellent choice.
Learn how our Accounting, Tax, and Payroll graduate Mary Ann successfully secured a job after earning her Sundance College Diploma in our blog: Is Accounting and Payroll a Good Career? This Graduate's Story Says It All
Financial Management Careers Overview
Here's an overview of potential career paths to make your first step into the Accounting and Financial Management workforce:
- Banking Associate: Engage in financial transactions, provide customer assistance, and promote banking services.
- Financial Planning Assistant: Collaborate on business analysis and financial plans, analyze investment options, and provide advisory support.
- Bookkeeping/Auditing/Payroll/Accounting Clerk: Handle financial records, ensure accuracy in transactions, and support auditing processes.
Key Job Requirements in Financial Management
To succeed in accounting-related and financial managerial roles, you need to hone:
- Post-secondary education in Business, Accounting, Tax, and Payroll, or related field
- Analytical Thinking: Evaluate financial data, assess investment alternatives, and provide well-informed recommendations
- Detail Orientation: Ensure precision in financial records, bookkeeping, and auditing tasks
- Financial Planning Proficiency: Comprehend financial markets and investment strategies, as well as contribute to effective financial planning
- Effective Communication: Communicate financial information clearly to diverse stakeholders
4. Career in Business Administration with a General Business Management Diploma
If you enjoy organizing, coordinating, and ensuring the smooth operation of a business, a career in Business Administration could be your calling.
Business Administration Careers Overview
A career in Business Administration encompasses various roles critical to the efficient functioning of an organization. Here's a sneak peek of potential career paths:
- Office Administrator/Assistant: Manage day-to-day office operations, coordinate tasks, and support staff.
- Executive Assistant: Provide high-level administrative support to executives, manage schedules, and facilitate communication.
- Operations Coordinator: Oversee operational processes, optimize efficiency, and ensure seamless business functions.
Acquiring these skills through our General Business Management Diploma prepares you for success in various Business Administration roles, where you can contribute to the smooth functioning of organizations.
Key Requirements for Business Administrative Roles
What are employers looking for in their potential candidates for the Business Administration positions?
- Organizational Skills: Efficiently manage tasks, coordinate schedules, and ensure smooth operations.
- Communication Abilities: Effectively convey information and facilitate clear communication within the organization.
- Detail Orientation: Pay attention to details, ensuring accuracy in administrative tasks.
- Adaptability: Navigate changing business needs and contribute to organizational flexibility.
Acquiring these attributes through our General Business Management Diploma enhances your readiness for success in Business Administration, making you an asset to employers.
5. Career in Entrepreneurship with a General Business Management Diploma
If you’re dreaming of building your own business, taking charge of your destiny, and making a difference in the world of commerce, a career in Entrepreneurship may be the path for you.
Entrepreneurial Career Path Overview: What It Takes to Start Your Business
Let's explore the unique journey of entrepreneurship and how a General Business Management Diploma can empower you to start and run your own business.
Here's a rundown of what it takes to start your own business:
- Idea Generation: Learn how to explore, refine, and realize business concepts.
- Business Planning: Understand the essentials of creating a comprehensive business plan.
- Financial Management: Grasp the basics of budgeting and finance forecasting, as well as resource allocation.
This will help you start a successful entrepreneurial journey, turning your business ideas into reality.
Key Skills You Need to Run Your Business
Running a successful business demands a specific skill set. Here are key skills aspiring entrepreneurs need:
- Business Leadership: Develop the ability to inspire and guide a team toward a common goal.
- Decision-Making: Hone your decision-making skills to navigate challenges and capitalize on opportunities.
- Adaptability: Entrepreneurship often involves navigating uncertainties; the ability to adapt is crucial.
- Networking in Business Management: Build and leverage a strong professional network for business growth, you will have built up important contacts during your program.
Acquiring these skills through our General Business Management Diploma prepares you to thrive in the dynamic world of entrepreneurship.
Want to Pursue One of These Careers? Join Sundance’s GMB Program If You Haven’t Yet!
Considering career advancement with a business diploma from Sundance College? Here's a Google Review from Shannon B., a graduate of our General Business Management Program who was once in the same position as you and decided to take the leap:
“This General Business Management program is amazing! It has set me up to succeed in just about any field I want. They lay the groundwork out and give you the tools you need to land your dream job. I have found a wonderful opportunity as the maintenance coordinator and plant purchaser for a global company. I love it and I use a lot of the skills I learned at Sundance.”
Shannon's success story, as well as Mary Ann’s, Roslyn’s, and many others of our graduates’, reflects the effectiveness of our GBM program in equipping students with the skills and knowledge that can truly open doors to a wide range of career opportunities in business management. From human resources and marketing to business administration and entrepreneurship — the program's comprehensive curriculum and practical experiences set the stage for student success in lots of business-related career paths.
Let’s make an inspiring success story from your business management career aspirations! Reach out to us to learn more about available scholarships, admission requirements, and the learning process at Sundance College.